Cooking Time: 50 Minutes
5 slices of Applegate Sunday Bacon
8 Russet potatoes
1 leek (white and light green part only)
2 sprigs of Rosemary (discard stem)
4 sprigs of Thyme
4 small cloves of Garlic
2 cartons of 32 oz. Imagine Free Range Chicken Broth
2 bunches of Kale (Remove stems, chop leaves)
3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 oz. of toasted sliced almonds
4 tablespoons of Grass Fed Ghee
Harissa seasoning (Just a sprinkle. Please see instructions below.)
Himilian Pink Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Let’s start cooking!
1. In a large skillet add the grass fed ghee and chopped bacon. Stir occasionally until crisp. Remove with a spoon and set aside in a bowl.
2. Add the potatoes diced and leek chopped to the left over ghee and drippings. Continue to cook just a couple of minutes until leek becomes slightly tender. You can add olive oil to help the veggies sauté. Then add the chopped garlic, herbs and himilian pink salt and pepper to taste.
Cook an additional 3-4 minutes and then add the chicken broth and 3/4 of the chopped kale. Put lid on pan and cook about five minutes. Uncover and stir and check to see if potatoes are tender and kale is wilted.
3. Turn off skillet and let stand five minutes. In a quality blender transfer the mix from the skillet to the blender using a mug. Purée till smooth. Transfer puréed soup to a large bowl as you complete blending each batch.
4. With oven set to 350, toast sliced almonds on a baking sheet with olive oil spray and sprinkled with Harissa seasoning. Shuffle almonds around every couple minutes to ensure even toasting and then remove from oven.
5. Set oven to broil. Lay remaining kale on baking sheet spray with olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of himilian pink salt and black pepper. Broil about 3 minutes till crisp.
6. Serve kale soup topped with crisp bacon pieces, toasted almonds and kale chips.